Eat & Die


  














As I child, I was taught to eat corn with salt and lemon, or with mayonnaise, ketchup, mustard, and cheese. My grandmother used corn to create her delicious tamales - A Guatemalan meal made by corn, chicken, raisins and peppers.  I moved from Guatemala four year ago, and I have been attending college the last two years. I have been learning the other uses corn offers in many products.



I consider myself to be a foolish person because it took me a long time to realize the food industry is manipulating animal's diets. As an example, chicken, cow, pork, and fish. American supermarkets does not have seasons. all the products look fresh; the meat is boneless, but the alterations are risky. animal's health is affect, so human's health started to be affected too. As an illustration, form the movie Food Inc, Kevin was a two year old boy healthy, until he ate a hamburger. After, 12 days he ate it; he died from E.Coli poisoning.

     One cause in their diet alteration is mass production. for example, in 1930 America created the drive-thru. The McDonald brothers decided to simplify their drive-thru by getting rid of their employees, and they trained their workers to do one thing over and over. Also, McDonald's is one of the largest buyers of beef, potatoes, chickens, apples, pork, lettuce and tomatoes.

Big corporations do not allow farmers to slow down. they want chickens to be raise in 48 days, instead of 70 days. Those companies change the way chickens are raised,. now chickens are twice as big they were before. They are not able to walk because of their weight. In addition, Corporations hired illegal workers to recollect their profits. They are controlling farmers with huge amounts of debt. Farmers are getting pay to overproduce food.

Companies have changed the way we eat food. They control 80 percent of the food market. In addition, the American way of life does not allow  the family unit time to cook at home. Parents are busy and  their children's scheduled are very demanding resulting in everyone getting home very late in the day. Before I watched Food Inc. I did eat in restaurants. Now after having watched the movie Food Inc. I do not  buy poultry from big companies, and  I no longer go out  to restaurants to eat.

Comments

  1. Cris, I don't eat out as much anymore either. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's very difficult these days to go healthy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Watching this movie made me think all shorts of things. Now every time I hear people talk about "OMG I bought the biggest drum sticks today! and they were so cheap!" I think to myself...If you only knew how those poor chickens were raised, and why the drum sticks are so big, you wouldn't be so happy or excited.
    For me the worst part is that not only are big corporations like McDonalds buying these chickens, we get the same meat the super market. Making it almost impossible to escape the industry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are ways to avoid companies' chickens. You can buy chickens in your local farmers market

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Unexplored Land

I'm not a Social Media Freak